Hover is a foldable selfie drone that weighs just half a pound, and is about the size of a book when in flying mode. When folded up, it’s basically the size of a VCR tape.
Hover does shoot 4K video and have a 13MP camera, but it is meant to be more of a close-up camera or tripod – hovering around you. Zero Zero Robotics, the manufacturer of Hover drone, has added sonar sensors and a downwards facing camera that takes 100 pictures a second, both of which are designed to make sure the drone hovers exactly where it is supposed to.
Hover comes with stabilization (both electronic and through a one-directional physical gimbal) – which helps steady the footage. The company recommends shooting in 1080p and not 4K in windy situations, since that’s what their stabilization algorithm is optimized for.
The camera lens is really small – about the size of an iPhone camera. And the footage it takes is about on par with what an iPhone 6S would take.
It also has a flash built in, which really helps with group or solo shots that are taken when the drone is just a few feet away from you. And the fact that Hover really has a flash really reiterates the fact that the drone was designed to be used for close-up photos and not true arial shots.
Essentially the camera will capture pictures that are more than good enough for Instagram or to send to your friends – but if you buy it hoping to capture stunning arial shots like you see in movies, you’re going to end up disappointed.
Part of Hover being more flying camera than drone means it comes packed with some technology to help it take cool pictures. Once your drone is in the air you can switch to video mode which brings up a bunch of AI modes – follow, 360-Spin and Orbit.
Follow is self-explanatory – once the stream on your phone shows that you are in Hover’s field of view a yellow square will appear around your body. Double tap yourself and the square turns green, which means Hover has locked on. The drone will then follow you around when you walk (or slowly run).
Key Features of Hover Camera Drone
- Face Tracking: Using face detection technology, Hover Camera Passport can track your face and accompany your journey.
- Body Tracking: Whether you’re jogging, skating, biking, or street dancing, Hover Camera Passport can keep up with your activities as it follows you.
- Grab & Go: Unlike drones, Hover Camera Passport’s enclosed carbon fiber form factor enables you to grab it mid-air to retrieve it.
- Lightweight: Hover Camera Passport weighs in at a mere 242 grams, meaning you don’t need to be registered to use it in some regions.
- 360 Spin: Capture 360 degrees of panoramic video, featuring you in your environment.
More about Hover Camera Drone at their website.